1.27.2006

The Great Divide at OU.

I am filling out my applications for study abroad in the Fall, and I came across the forms for letters of recommendation from my professors. It occurred to me, for the first time since I left College of the Ozarks, how much I miss knowing my professors. Maybe it's my fault, or maybe it's just the way of going to such a large public university, but I'm now in my fourth semester of OU, and I only know one or two of my professors really well. At CofO, I knew 4 of my professors really well, and the only reason I didn't know the 5 was because that class was split into three parts. Each section was too short to really know your professors.

I think this is something that needs to be improved in the academic world. This was part of the reason my mother home schooled me; she wanted the person who taught her kids to be personally involved in their lives. This not only meant her, but any other co-op teacher who taught Nick and me. Now, I go to class and leave, and I can't even remember what the names of my professors were. In addition, they certainly do not remember me. This lack of connection between the professors and the students is tragic. That rift will only weaken the intellectual strength of our youth, as well as discouraging professors from putting real effort into their classes.

I ran into the head the Expository Writing program at OU Wednesday, and he was meeting with a candidate for professorship in the program. He asked me why I loved the program so much, and I said, "You know, I still meet with Dr. Hawkins (my EXPO professor from my first semester at OU, Fall '04) and I think that says something. I hardly know any of my other professors. I think that speaks to the significance of the class to a student." If only all classes were as well run as that one.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's one thing that is amazing about Ai up here. my biggest class is like 30 people and it encompasses 3 classes of students. all of our profs know all our names and we have all their cell numbers just in case we need to ask them something outside of class. good times in vancouver...

10:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home