11.14.2005

The Journey to Cold.

It occured to me on my trip to the bus the other day that I love how the trees make a mess of sidewalks during autumn.

Autumn first came when I ordered my first Pumpkin Latté of the season. The flavor of Pumkin spice on my tongue signals my my that fall has come, even if the colors, the cold, and the season itself isn't present. Businesses know when fall will come, and they sell their product accordingly.

Then the trees begin to change. It's no different than any other fall, only I realized this year how rarely it comes. In my life, I have only lived through fall 21 times. I have only seen the trees become red, gold, and orange a few times. Suddenly, it is more precious to me now than ever before.

Do you know the sound of acorns falling to concrete? I's a quick "click" that follows the wind. But they do not break, but lays on the ground waiting for my shoe in causal stride to crush it. So, as I walk, the silence is interupted with the cracking of acorns oand the rustling of fallen leaves.

And there is uncertainty when I awake. Will today be warm or cold. After getting dressed, I step out on the porch to discover if today I will need a jacket or not. Either way I am happy, because there is no fear of it being hot or cold, rather warm or cool.

Finally, do you know the smell of turning the heater on for the first time. Throughout the winter, you can smell it, but you don't notice it because it is like that for months. However, when you turn it on for the first time of the season, you remember: this is the smell of Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years.

I like it.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

so your comment about the acorns reminded me of a couple stories that I don't think I've ever told anyone...

one day on my way back from business calc. in The Blender I'm riding my bike along the west side of the South Oval and I hear the acorns popping under my tires. all of a sudden I get nailed right between the eyes by a rogue acorn hell bent of making its trip to the ground as eventful as possible. hurt for like three days...

another time, along the same stretch of sidewalk, an acorn fell and bounced off the ground. I stuck my arm out and it bounced just high enough to smack into my palm. pretty good catch if I do say so myself...

have a great day...

11:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved your title.

I always enjoyed hearing the nuts dropping through the trees, bouncing off limbs and careening past leaves, finally smacking into the ground. When I was little I always wondered if they were racing.

One & Only, thanks for the great visual of you on the bike. Now I know why you hate bike riding. :)

10:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home