9.28.2005

One Day. - Part III

Darkness enveloped me as I walked into the abandoned hotel. Bursts of light from the sun outside shot through holes in the wall and randomly illuminated insignificant corners. But we moved into the building where the sun could not pierce the air. When the blackness was complete, I was able to see. Figures, ghosts they must have been, moved through the halls in the hotel with the glorious spirit of wealth that had diminished long ago. I gasped and reached for my camera, but Andey laughed at me.

"They will not be captured on film," he said softly, reaching for my hand and holding it. For hours, we sat in the ruined hotel and watched the spirits move about in bygone activity. At length, a figure approached us. He was holding a flashlight pointed directly at us, leaving his face annonymous.
"You do not belong here," the figure said. I nodded my head, but before I could speak, Andey grabbed my hand and ran. He burst through the window and dragged me down the fire escape of the hotel.

"What's wrong?" I asked.
"Didn't you hear the policeman?" he replied incredulously. I frowned and followed his haste, but silently considered the visitor who was not who Andey thought he was. He explained to me, as we ran, that he did not want me to get in trouble for trespassing. So, he hid me in a small building and said, "Meet me at the center of the world in one hour."

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Um, what the fuck?

9:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

For once, I concur with the learned Caleb.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The previous comment I do not believe was made by me.

It sometimes take a dreamer to see life for what it is...what an age we live in where a realist misses the ghosts...misses the roses, and the dead-end streets which are more alive than any other.

Live. Let no man stop you, no man discourage you, let no man declare that dreams are dead. Live.

1:36 AM  
Blogger OurayDreamer said...

Beauty, it is said, is in the eye of the beholder. This puts the responsibility to find beauty firmly in the hands each person. Beauty, love, joy, peace, and the like have always existed - in every place and every day. The question we must ask ourselves is are we open to finding it, to seeing it, to sharing it?

5:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home