10.03.2005

One Day. - Part IV



I waited in that house the hour he asked me. But within that hour, my mind raced for an eternity. The desire to belong somewhere was holding me to this tiny town. Ambition, however, was driving me out of it. At the end of eternity, I decided I would find "the center of the world" and my journey their would determine if I could ignore the visitor in the hotel and stay with Andey.

I checked my watch confident that an hour had passed and began walking down the streets of the town. I had grown up in a city and had no knowledge of small town life. It mystified me. Everything was empty, even in the middle of the afternoon. I could literally stand in the middle of the street, take a picture of an old street post in the center of the road, and no one knew.



It was beautiful, just as Andey had promised. But beauty can be silent, lonely, and unwelcoming. Every corner I turned, the buildings cried out for me to heal the years of negligence.



And then I saw it. The center of the world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Again, I must be becoming daft.... I'm missing it.. is this fiction? If so... I'm captivated....

11:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home