3.01.2006

The Shortest Pilot in the World

This semester I decided to volunteer for a program here called "Conversation Café." It's a program that helps English as a Second Language students learn English by spending time with normal English speaking students. Today was my first day, and I can't believe I didn't hook up with this program earlier. I was assigned three women to speak with, but none of them came. Instead, these two men by the name of Habib, one from Saudi Arabia and the other from United Arab Emirates, spoke with me for a while.

The man from Saudi Arabia told his friend that he should tell me a story. After some persuasion, Habib from UAE began telling his story. He said that when he was younger his father wanted him to become a doctor. However, Habib wanted to become a pilot. Everyone he knew said that he couldn't become a pilot because he was so short. Eventually his father gave him a large some of money and said, "Well, take this and study whatever you want." So, he went to study to be a pilot.

When he went to apply for his pilot's license, the man in charge said that he was not sure that he could let him have the license because he was so short. After some convincing, the man finally said, "Fine, I'll let you pursue this if you answer this one question. I'll give you one hour to answer: You are flying a plane and you see another plan flying towards you. There is no radio contact, what do you do?" So, Habib went home, prayed to God to give him the answer, and after 25 minutes he returned. He gave his answer and he was right.

Since then, he has traveled all over the world watching airshows. He's moved here with his wife to practice his English. However, I wondered silently how difficult it was for him, of Arab descent, to move to Norman as a pilot. He told me that he had to argue with the American government that he was not a terrorist. He said, "I told them that I do not have enough to be a terrorist. It's very expensive to be a terrorist." I listened to him give his reasons for why he wasn't a terrorist, and held back my laughter.

Anyway, while he was visiting a airshow in France, he was stopped by security. He tried to explain that he was a pilot, but they didn't believe him because he was so short. He pulled out his license and answered all the appropriate questions. However, despite proving that he had done nothing wrong, the security officer insisted that he take all of his information. Habib provided him with all the questions the security officer asked, and then went on his way.

A few weeks later, he was contacted by someone stating, "We're with the Guinness Book of World Records, and we would like to add you to our list as the shortest pilot in the world." His response was, initially, "What's the Guinnes Book of World Records?"

That is what I did today was listen to a man tell me about his life. For a few moments there, I felt as if I had left the U.S. My feeling of confidence about my ability to coerce was dashed to pieces because these men clearly had very different cultural mannerisms and rules of politesse. However, both of them were extremely appreciative that I was so patient and kind. Thay both took pictures with me (when I get them, I'll post them on here) and the gentlemen from Saudi Arabia bought me a bag of M&Ms.

It was a fine day.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

man, the most random stuff happens to you.

9:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home