5.05.2005

Queso for the Children.

I'm devestated! My friend from Kansas just IMed me today and our conversation is as follows:

"Josh: yo..."queso" means cheese doesnt it?"
"Jesi: Oui."
"Josh: So you guys were driving around looking for "free cheese?""

::points frantically at her stunned face:: I know! Apparently he is unfamiliar with the idea that every good Mexican restaurant gives this cheese sauce substance with salsa at the beginning of the meal. I guess here in OKC we have it everywhere: Chelinos, Casa Pericos, La Luna, Alfredos, Las Fajitas, Ted's Cafe Escondido, etc., (please forgive me if I spelled any of those wrong) that it had not occured to me that there might be places in the world where this does not exist. You go to Abuelo's or Don Pablos and they make you buy it seperately. Granted, it's thicker and arguably better, but it's not served with the meal automatically. There is a recognition that queso is not automatically served. I'm saddened and I now feel a new sense of responsibility to insist that we make Queso available to all of God's children, in Kansas or elsewhere.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

free queso, a def necessity. not my fav, but i enjoy the free salsa that generally comes along w/ the queso.

7:11 PM  
Blogger Michael said...

You know, I don't remember queso being a staple of Mexican restaurants in San Antonio the way it is here - although I have not eaten the real good Tex-Mex in a half decade now :(

Anyway, not knowing what queso is strikes me as being very white.

3:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very white thankyou very much. It's interesting note that I haven't observed "queso" let alone "free queso" in Mexico either time I was there. Perhaps Oklahoma City is the standard for Mexican food? Perhaps. Again my theory on the iron-oxide in the soil....

We do have salsa in Kansas. We probably have "queso". But it's not automatically served.

Once again defending the greatest state in the union against....propoganda.

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home