5.17.2005

There is nothing to do but be happy...

I bound into the urgent care center and giggle as I approach the counter. The nurse smiles and says, "Just fill out this form and--" she pauses and looks at my brother, "Oh, are you the one who's here to get treated?" The nurse behind her smiles and says, "Of course she's not sick. She's too happy to be sick." My head feels like my brain is about to burst out my ears, my throat feels like I swallowed a cheese-grater, and I itch from head to toe. How do I respond? I laugh.

April 21st is when I first started feeling sick. I think I must have just eaten something bad. My stomach hurt and I spent much of the night on the floor desperately trying to read my Astronomy textbook while my friends partied in the living room. The following Monday, my throat began hurting. Soon it was full on sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, and coughing with a fever. The sneezing, runny nose, itchy eyes, and fever went away after a few days, but the cough lingered well into the next week. My boyfriend broke up with me, which merely confused the matter. Was I not feeling well because I was actually sick or am I responding physically to the surprise of the break up? I waited as my cough continued to linger, but after a week I begin getting piercing headaches that make me so dizzy that I was forced to sit down in the middle of my shower. I go to the doctor and he tells me I have a sinus infection. He prescribes an antibiotic and tells me to take 4 Ibuprofen not to exceed 12 in a day. Well, I've been taking my antibiotic, and nothing has gotten better. I've been taking 12 Ibuprofen a day until Sunday. I stopped because I know that much medicine is bad for me, but the headaches return. I had planned on scheduling an appointment with my doctor, but on Monday night I noticed that I had been scratching my ankles frequently. I look down to find little red bumps all over my ankles. I walk into my brother's room and point at my ankles and ask, "What's that?" I then notice the bumps are all over my hands. I was hot, so I pulled my shirt up off my stomach for a moment while we were discussing possible problems and Nick says, "Uh, Jess, they're all over your stomach." Sure enough, the red bumps are spreading quickly up my arms, legs, and torso. I call my mom and she tells me to go to the urgent care center.

Which leaves me laughing at the nurse who believed I was too happy to be sick. I simply respond, "I have been sick for close to a month straight and when you've felt this way for that long, there is nothing to do but be happy." She smiled nervously at me and returned to her work while the other nurse continued to help me. Turns out I had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic. The new doctor prescribed a simple decongestant for my sinuses, and now my headaches are gone. I'm still covered in little red bumps that are very itchy, but the steroid he prescribed is making that situation better.

This has physically been one of the worst months in my life. Please pray that this is the end of my misery. I am in desperate need of healthy body.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My first thought was chicken pox. That would have been funny. About as funny as a thumb with an inch long splinter. :)

Get better kid, the world doesn't need a sick Jes

9:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well shoot, Jesi, I'm sorry to hear about how bad things have been! At some point I'll take the time to give you a call and see how you're doing -- I think I have your celephone number. Have a good weekend in the mean time!

10:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home