5.30.2005

My Summer - Fiction, fiction, fiction. (And a little Queso.)

::crinkles nose:: I don't think the "Save as Draft" button works in blogger... I totally wrote this whole post, but decided to publish the thing about lemons, first. I go to my drafts, and it's gone. This has happened before and that was the only other time I tried to save a post. Anyhow, I just scanned some of my friend Xangas after (ironically... I probably should've gone and deleted my account right then and there, but alas, Xanga has cast its spell and there is no recovering me) reading Kurt's comments (kurtmckee.org - "Sorry Frederick") about how horrible it is that Xanga makes you join to post comments. Now, I'm feeling rather Xanagish, (So, I like went to the store today and it was fun. I wish I was cooler. I need some new stuff for my apartment. etc, etc, etc) but I'm going to attempt to recover and try to write something siginificant.

I have found that when I am given free time in my life, I surround myself in fiction. Books, movies, writing, TV (occassionally), etc. Look at my summer so far:

I've been spending some time with Josh getting Star Trek cultured. I've watched all of the movies (several I had not seen before) except for "First Contact" and "Insurrection," both of which I have seen before. He's even written some fanfiction and I've read one of his stories and started reading his book. I really enjoy Star Trek. However, I can't wait to watch episodes from the actual TV series. I did watch some of "Voyager" and "Deep Space Nine" and enjoyed them a great deal. It reminds me of Star Gate, which is one of my favorite television shows.

Josh has never seen the original Star Gate movie. I know! If you haven't seen it, go out and rent it. One of my favorite Sci Fi films ever. I am planning on spending the summer culturing Josh in Star Gate SG-1. I just found out that he has cable with access to the Sci Fi channel. This means I'm might exploit him to catch episodes from the eighth season which I have almost entirely missed. (Save for Jacob telling me a key point to the story line, which miffed me considerably.)

But my influence on Josh will not be limited to Star Gate. I absolutely intend on having him read some of Stephen Lawhead, Timothy Zahn, and Orson Scott Card. It's a heavy reading list, but well worth the effort. I just spoke to Elizabeth yesterday, I also plan on having her read Stephen Lawhead. Fortunately, the influence goes both ways, and Elizabeth will also be giving me some books to read.

She already exposed me to Garth Nix's "Sabriel," "Lirael," and "Abhorsen." Fantastic novels. And I just found out that Nix will be publishing an additional book to this series this summer. Rockin'. So, now I can wait for that as well as waiting for "Half-blooded Prince." Yes, all you Harry Potter fans out there just gasped slightly in anticipation and joy.

I actually just gave my mother those three books as well as "Shadow of the Giant" by Mr. Orson Scott Card. I'm absolutely stunned by his capacity to keep putting out books and books that I love. I've read like 15 of his books and they're all fantastic. He also has a really interesting website (ornery.org) where he states his opinions about current events. I don't always agree, but it is interesting to note his perspective after reading some of his books. Anyway, I just finished reading "Shadow of the Giant" and it was fantastic. Actually, I cried a little at the end of it. One of the few books I actually cried while reading. If you haven't read "Ender's Game," please step away from the computer and read it right now. Without a doubt, one of the best novels ever.

I actually just read a review by Orson Scott Card about "Revenge of the Sith" (http://www.hatrack.com/revengeofthesith.shtml) and I have to say I do agree. The story is so good, but it is a pity George Lucas can't write! But, no matter how bad the writing was, I still loved it. I waited eleven hours in line opening day for a movie I expected would only be mediocre. I was uniquely satisfied, though, seeing the end and I would probably see it again if someone invited me.

I love stories. If you know of a good story (TV, movie, books, or otherwise) let me know, 'cause that's what I'm going to be doing this summer when I'm not waitressing at El Chico.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Old Star Trek movies are decent, I like "The Undiscovered Country." Klingons and Shakespeare crack me up. I enjoy "Deep Space Nine" and the Picard series (I forget its name....I can't believe this really.)

I get annoyed when writers become uncreative and do the same things over and over again with small variations. I hate cheezy special-effects. Hence I do not much like Voyager. I do not like how main characters do not die, but are fired on repeatedly, over and over, episode to episode. Hence I do not like Voyager. I do not like seeing a single Federation ship defeat a fleet of Borg Cubes in time for breakfast. Hence I do not like Voyager. I do not like shows who create a character cliche to "Data" in his attempt to become more human. Hence I do not like Voyager.

The stargates tend to become TVish but they are probably the only series that I watch re-runs from on Tv. One of my favoriates. I like Battle-Star Galactica (the new) better really.

Stargate movie is very good. War of the Worlds looks good btw. And I am pissed that Yoda bitched out. What a forseen bummer.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Jesi E. said...

Of course it's nerdy, Cassidy! Who the hell do you think I am? I'm a big nerd that occassionally attemps to act cool.

Anonymous, I have not too deeply into Star Trek, so I can't judge the TV shows as a whole. I've only watched a few episodes here and there.

Stargate SG-1 is TVish and that's what I like about it. TV is supposed to be a little mindless, light, easy entertainment. That's what I dislike about the new Atlantis series. It's too serious. If I am at home Friday night watching the Sci Fi channel, I'm doing so because I am too tired to go hang out with people. I want something that doesn't require much from me.

Oh, don't even get me started on upcoming films! I'm stoked about War of the Worlds. I'm not a big fan of Tom Cruise, but I think he has extraordinary taste in films.

About Yoda: I "foresaw" that he would actually not fight. I thought that he would do a, "Palpatine, and Vader together are two strong. Hope lies in the children of Skywalker, so I will wait on a desolate planet until they are of age to be trained." It did seem like Yoda bitched out. Oh, well.

8:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jes,
Tell me, oh, maybe 3 good reasons to watch "Requiem For a Dream". I have been poked (no OU slur intended) and prodded to see this film and I have dug my feet in the whole way! How will this film better me, my life, my perspective....etc.
barb

3:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home