4.17.2006

The Despair After the Wait.

I remember learning that someone was going to make a live action version of the Lord of the Rings several year before the movies came out. It was one of the films that I would check up on every couple of weeks to see if this film could possibly be a fraction of the greatness of the books. I remember my excitement when I discovered it was going to be three films released once a year. I remember my distrust when I heard they cast Elijah Wood as Frodo Baggins. I watched and waited with such intense anticipation for so long, I don't think I can adequately express it. Those last few minutes before seeing The Fellowship of the Ring were brutal. My fears seemed to be confirmed when someone sitting next to us said, "They cut of Tom Bombadil." All hope is lost.

Then the movie started. When I watched the first 10 minutes, a lovely monologue by Cate Blanchett as Galadriel, covering briefly the history of the ring, I was consumed. Never again would I simply be a fan of Tolkien. I was now a Tolkien/Jackson fan.

The two years that followed were no less stressful than the years before. Could the next two be as good as the first? What academy awards were waiting for these excellent films. What of the storyline would be added in the additional footage of the DVDs? The thrill of the wait had been extended and I was completely engrossed in the whole process.

It ended so abruptly. I watched "The Return of the King" extended edition, and that was it. There was no more waiting. There was a sudden dissappointment that there was no other film that could possibly fill that need for a sense of anticipation.

I had almost forgotten this process until I watched "The Mummy" this weekend on TBS. It's not an exceptionally great movie, but at 9:00 on Saturday morning, there are worse things to watch. Then, to my horror, an outline of Galndalf appears on the screen, dancing around to a weird musical theme of "The white, white wizard." It was a commercial for The Fellowship of the Rings, which would be playing at 6:00, I believe, Saturday night. That's it. For all the beauty of these films, that was all that was left. Now, they will be corrupted by the advertising whims of cable networks.

I have other issues of cable television to address, but not today. Today is reserved for the memory of greatness that was those three movies, and the anticipation they gave, which was justly deserved.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I felt much the same way after they finally filmed the last American Pie movie.

Pubic hair on a wedding cake--you'll never see THAT on TV!!!

2:47 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We can always pray for the "The Hobbit", since Starwars is dead. There is a slight bit of anticipation for the next season of Galactica though a joke in comparison.

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

star wars will never die, john! at least in our hearts. curiously enough, i was also watching the mummy and when the gandalf promo came on, i was in tears with laughter. i thought it a great way to get a new audience to at least attempt to watch the films. the frodo and sam homosexual ad was a little over the top, but i expected no less.

12:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home