4.13.2006

OIL and a Sinus Infection.

Forgive my absense. I've been sick and I've been at Oklahoma Intercollegiate Legislature. Quick rundown:

Senator [MsBlackandWhite] Cannot Read

Well, one of the bills that came up in session at OIL was the bill prohibiting home schooling in Oklahoma. The poor girl who wrote it had no idea of the trouble she was getting herself into. I was serving as the President's clerk at the time, but the moment I knew that bill was going to be up on the floor, I got down as quickly as possible. I and another girl who was home schooled offered our perspectives of the bill. Needless to say, by the end of questions and debate, there was only one person (the author) who voted "yes." Even the people arguing in proponency of the bill turned their arguments into a joke, holding me as example, "Look at Senator [MsBlackandWhite]! Clearly she cannot read or function in society, so vote yes to prohibit homeschooling!"

My conservative side

Another bill up for consideration was to force large corporations to pay a month of maternity leave for every mother. I did not argue strongly, because again I was working as the President's clerk, but I voted "No" on the bill. I saw eyes of hate meet me when I made my vote coming from the women in the Senate, but I was unmoved. Somehow Americans feel that by the pure quantity of business that corporations produce that they do not pay a proportional level of costs. So, we pass laws to pile on all these benefits for the employees of these corporations, and then we wonder why companies like GM are stuggling with the possibility of bankruptcy. Could it be they are spending more money on health care of their workers than they spend on steel? Hm.

My liberal side

Miss Black and White arguing for abortion? Surely not! I could hardly believe the words coming out of my mouth, too! Yet, I did. The bill was to require that women receive permission from the fathers before having an abortion. If the fathers refused to allow them, the women would carry the child, deliver it, and immediately turn the child over after birth. I have no problem with this in theory, but there is one problem: Rape. A very simple event can make the whole thing impossible to deal with. A woman is raped. She doesn't know the attacker and doesn't report it for one reason or another. Trauma can affect people's rationalities negatively, and I don't think a woman should suffer for something that is not her fault. A month or so later, the woman discovers she's pregnant. She goes to an abortion clinic, but they demand proof that the father has been notified. Since she has never filed a report, how can she prove that she was raped? Will the clinic go off her word alone? In that case, any woman who does not wish to tell the father can claim they were raped and didn't file a report. If not, then every women who fails to file a report must carry through with the pregnancy. I do not think it is fair of the State to demand a woman carry a rape child to term. I would do so if it were me, but I don't demand it of everyone else.

That was OIL in a nutshell. ::shrugs:: I was also give the title of one of the three most fabulous babes, which amuses me greatly. However, I a much more impressed with my intellectual achievements: I had two bills (one on Genocide in Darfur and another on Torture) given the recommendation of Do Pass, essentially give immediate passage. Unfortunately, though, neither of those bills made it to the floor. Oh well.

1 Comments:

Blogger shanseo5050 said...

A question how long does it take for antibiotics to work for sinus infection? many women ask themselves and unfortunately, yes. A sinus infection can be quite painful for a woman during pregnancy, even if she takes medication to alleviate the symptoms. Best over the counter medicine for sinus infection and sore throat visit for more information.

10:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home