6.12.2005

Of Communists and Wife Swapping.

So, I read The Communist Manifesto for the first time this evening. I'm not sure how I managed not to read it for so long, but I've known so much about it through other people, I just never took the time to read it myself. It is entirely as I expected, but I did find several parts of it were quite amusing. I found this section particularly funny:

"For the rest, nothing is more ridiculous than the virtuous indignation of our bourgeois at the community of women which, they pretend, is to be openly and officially established by the Communists. The Communists have no need to introduce free love; it has existed almost from time immemorial.

"Our bourgeois, not content with having wives and daughters of their proletarians at their disposal, not to speak of common prostitutes, take the greatest pleasure in seducing each other's wives. (Ah, those were the days!)

"Bourgeois marriage is, in reality, a system of wives in common and thus, at the most, what the Communists might possibly be reproached with is that they desire to introduce, in substitution for a hypocritically concealed, an openly legalized system of free love."

I love it: Bourgeois Marriage - a system of wives in common. I even love the "Ah, those were the days!" To think, I only have to marry one Bourgeois and then I get the hook up to a whole range of men! Man, we capitalists sure know how to have fun.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love my J-Dawg!

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder how much more successful the initial spread of communism and communist thought might have been if Marx and Engels (I?) were better propogandists.

Consider what they are saying; "Successful capitalists share there women and have a good time....oh and they have stuff" What could be a more profound statement in favor of capitalism? (at least regarding the illiterate and poor masses)

The whole world might be communist now if it weren't for this one particular miscalculation. Perhaps Freud was closer to the truth than we all thought. Perhaps....

Eheheehe

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home